June 23, 2010

In May, I randomly signed up for a yoga workshop here in town because I found out it was going to be in English. Granted, this may not have been the smartest thing to do in light of the fact that I had neverever attended a power yoga class and my hands only reached my knees when bending over, but I was desperate! An American, here in Würzburg, holding a class in English??! Sign me up! So I had my husband transfer the dough a.s.a.p. and began glowing. Granted, I had no idea why, but just the thought of understanding everysinglesolitary little thing for three solid hours set me on fire! It was good that I was all fired up about the English because I hardly registered K.'s advice on Facebook to BRING WATER (in capital letters just like that). If I had registered her advice and not been blinded by the words "only English will be spoken", then I may have realized what I was getting myself into...

What had I gotten myself into you ask? I had gotten myself into a three hour workshop with none other than Bryan Kest, the founding father of Power Yoga. If I had known this ahead of time, I would have been scared out of my pants and most likely cancelled the class, but I didn't and, to this day, am so very thankful that things turned out the way they did...

I had always avoided giving serious thought to yoga. The thought of meditation and oming with strangers was a little too much for me to bear. But, after three sweet hours with Bryan Kest, I was sold. He had me the moment he said, "Yoga does not want to change you. It likes you just the way you are." Hmmm. Imagine that? I didn't have to want to om my heart out or touch my toes and tie myself up in a knot. I didn't have to give up meat (I'm Texan and I couldn't do that if I tried really hard with my eyes shut). I didn't have to go to India and learn Sanskrit. I could just be.

This little bit of wisdom still makes me glow; it has gotten me on my mat almost every day now and carries me through asanas without judgement or criticism. It lets me relish in the moment and stretch and strengthen and breathe. In peace.

No comments: