June 22, 2010

Last week was packed full of negativity and by the end of it I was exhausted. People out-of-the-blue critisized and growled, glarred and huffed. Not a whole lot of sweetness to write home about. Maybe it was the weather? Maybe the not-so-exciting run of the World Cup matches? Needless to say, I found myself huffing and puffing in my own little corner of the world because of it. I am a true believer that you create your own happiness, but last week my mantra called in sick and left me to fend off the world on my own. This morning, I thankfully retreated behind my extra dark sunglasses and humbly ventured out, not knowing what to expect from the world around me.

The first smile from a stranger registered, but was returned half-heartedly (sad to say, but last week had left its mark). The second was received and responded to much the same. By the early afternoon, I still hadn't been convinced that this would be a better week. Sometimes it really is much easier to hold on to the negativity instead of moving on and embracing the positive. Well, by the early afternoon, the universe was fed up and sent me a stranger with the warmest smile, so warm that I couldn't help but smile back full throttle teeth and all. Shortly thereafter, I met a man in an elevator. Before he got out, he looked me in the eyes, smiled, and said, "Have a nice journey". Out-of-the-blue and just like that. I didn't know what journey the man was referring to, but I realized I didn't care. I was being challenged to keep on huffing and sulking and wallowing; I was being challenged not to succumb to the sweetness surrounding me and simply enjoy the journey I am on.

Wishing you, too, a "gute Reise" filled with unexpected surprises, contented days, and peace.

No comments: