August 15, 2010

Bikes are so much a part of life in Europe. People ride them to work, to school, on a date, to get in shape, to go out. They bike with sports clothes, fancy clothes, school clothes, and play clothes. Some have on special bike shoes, others wear flip-flops or sandals. I love bike fashion and so does the lady behind this blog. I got a new bike for Mother's Day and adore it. I never realized how much I missed biking until I started doing it again. When I first came to Germany, I biked all over the place, but then we moved into the country, had little babies, my old hand-me-down Peugot got rusty, and I got "lazy". Two years ago we moved back into the city, but on a hill (that people ride up to train for biking in the ALPS); needless to say, this intimidated me. In May, we bought my oldest son a new bike and I couldn't resist the temptation to get one myself. My husband, an avid mountain and road biker, didn't waste a minute and insisted that I get a bike, a bike I love ("if you don't love it, you won't ride it", he said). He was right and rode my "fahrrad" like it was going out of style from May to July. Since August, though, I haven't been able to bike that much because of the rain. I miss my faithful friend terribly and hope the summer won't leave without inviting the sun over to tea one last time so I can b-i-k-e before the cold sets in.

In celebration of getting from here to there without a car...

1 comment:

Expat in Germany said...

Great post! I can't wait to get a bike. I've only been in Germany a couple of months but have already lost weight just from walking everywhere and feel great and a bike will provide even more freedom. I also love that everyone bikes, unlike in North America where you only do so if you can't afford a car.