September 15, 2010


Our youngest son started school yesterday. Listening to the principal speak to the first graders (German schools start with the first grade), set my Rolodex of memories in motion and I couldn't help but gasp at how fast these last six years flew by. Sitting with all the other parents on the verge of breaking down, lamenting long gone years of childhood sucked up by the everyday, I promised myself then and there to press pause every once in a while and switch to slow-mo. It's really an easy thing to do if you think about it, but what it demands is a conscious effort, a conscious motion to slow this train down and get off. I often forget to press pause and only just remember when I'm lying in bed listening to everyone sleep, realizing that another day has passed. My oldest son, when asked what advice he'd give his younger brother just starting school said, "Pay attention, be safe, and remember your intonation". I had to smile because this advice really applies to life in general, don't you think?







In celebration of remembering to intone life's little moments...

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

So true..and I'm sure with kids you feel like it's all going by too fast even more. Stop and smell those roses! :)

artist in the arctic said...

Such a great post! Love the pictures -
the rainbow, the flags, the 'sport' shoe...
xo