September 19, 2010


This weekend my boys and I hit Würzburg's infamous Talavera Flea Market on the banks of the Main River. Heaven is the only word to describe this event. The kiddos were skeptical at first missing packaged, brandspanking newness, but within five minutes they were wheeling and dealing as if they'd been doing it their whole lives. Such a treat to see the things that caught their eyes. N. was drawn to everything smaller than his hand, stretching two euros farther than I'd imagined and without a doubt getting a kid bonus on goods that I could only hope for. B. was into big and bright, but after some persuading realized that less is more and some money saved for rainy days is never bad. Me?? My prize of the day was a bright red tin tray from England that cost a whopping one euro. Recycling at its best! Wasn't too sure if red and gold tin with proper ladies and gents would mesh with Buddha, but his feathers don't look too ruffled, so I guess it's a go! The next Talavera flea market takes place on October 9th. If you can't wait until then, though, there's one at the Adelberokirche in Sanderau (near the Mensa) on September 25th.



Happy Sunday soon-to-be Monday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening

Looking forward to your next post

Anonymous said...

On the vague off chance you catch this message tonight...can you give some more detail about talavera market? I have an un expected Sunday free in Wuerzburg and love flea markets. I can't seem to find anything online (in English) about the market you mention...and the link didn't work. Thanks heaps...have enjoyed reading your blog for other hints on what to do. Wish I'd discovered it a week ago!
Fifi

Julie said...

Hey! Sorry the link didn't work; maybe the calander was updated? The Talavera flea market or "Mainwesen flohmarkt" takes place a couple times a year. Reportedly, the next flea market will take place on March 19. I'll try to post early enough as a reminder. If you live in Würzburg, there are some great second hand shops where real treasures can be found. I'll get a list going and post in the next couple of days.