December 13, 2010

Christmas Countdown: Day 13


image courtesy of The Lennoxx



Oh my. Twelve more days until Christmas! The pace is picking up; I'm ready for bed already and it's only three in the afternoon! Today, I have another quick recipe for the holidays. The other week someone brought these to a party and I shamelessly stuffed my face. When she told me that she baked them instead of "fried" them in a pan, the norm, I was sold. They take no time to make and you can vary the spices depending on what you've got around the house. You can keep it simple by only adding onions and garlic or kick it up a notch with spices from the Orient. You can also eat them hot or cold and the meat mixture can be made ahead of time. Here's the base recipe for the mini-meatballs a.k.a. Mini-Frikadellen:

2lbs (1 Kilo) of hamburger meat (Hackfleisch)
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of parsley
1/2 of a big onion, chopped small
salt, pepper
1 egg

Then you can add either Italian spices and a dash of sherry, garam masala, coucous seasoning, or kefta seasoning. I usually add one or two spoonfuls; it's up to you how spicey you want your meaballs to be.

Preheat oven to 350°F or 200°C. Place meatballs on a cooking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Makes up to 25 balls depending on how big or small you roll them.

Happy Monday!

No comments: