December 17, 2010

Christmas Countdown: Day 17



Decades ago, I had tortilla soup for the first time and it was love at first bite. I always meant to get the recipe from the lady who made it, but kept forgetting. I went off to college, got married, and left the States, all the while looking for a recipe that made my mouth go yum. None of the recipes I tried made a soup as good as the one I had eaten when I was in high school. Even in restaurants, the tortilla soups I had just didn't cut it. Then, I got a cookbook from my Grandma during one of my visits back home. It was from her church, simply bound, and without pictures. While flipping through it that evening, I stumbled across a recipe for tortilla soup. I have been making it ever since, changed it up a tiny bit, and want to share it with you today. You'll need (for four people):

One rotisserie chicken
One liter water seasoned with boullion (Delikatessbrühe)
Three tablespoons olive oil
Garlic (two to three cloves)

One can Rotel Tomatoes a.k.a. tomatoes with green chillies
(I have yet to find Rotel tomatoes in Germany, but I think if you add one or two chopped jalepenos to a can of diced tomatoes and let it sit for a couple hours, the effect will be similiar)
Two carrots
One medium-sized zucchini
Two cups green onions
One medium-sized can of corn
One bay leaf (Lorbeerblatt)

In a big soup pan, heat olive oil over low heat, then add garlic cloves while stirring so they won't burn. After about five minutes, add one liter of water. Season it with boullion (Delikatessbrühe). Then, add the can of Rotel tomatoes, the cut-up carrots, zucchini, green onions, and can of corn, drained. Tear the rotisserie chicken into the liquid mixture and add the bay leaf. Take the bay leaf out after about fifteen minutes. Let the soup cook on low heat for another half-hour or until the vegetables are cooked. Add salt and pepper if needed. Top individual portions with avocados, cheese and/or tortilla chips. Best if made a couple of hours before serving and eaten when watching Maria Ripoll's delightful film, Tortilla Soup...


Happy December 17!

No comments: